5×5 is a free, non-competitive community walking event for people at all levels of fitness and ability. The events take place throughout the year across the Illawarra and Shoalhaven Region. Previous 5×5 locations have included Bellambi, Wollongong, Lake Illawarra, Shell Cove, Kiama and Nowra. Participants walk and talk over a 5km course (or comfortable distance) one morning a week for 5 weeks. The 5×5 aims to:
- Provide a safe, friendly and accessible opportunity to be active.
- Build healthy walking habits to increase individual fitness and mobility.
- Support participants to reduce their risk of chronic disease.
- Support good mental health.
- Build community connections at individual and organisational levels.
- Reduce social isolation.
Tell us how you walk!
Healthy Cities Illawarra is committed to working with its partners and communities to support and improve opportunities for walking. In order to do this effectively, we would love to hear from you! Click on the link below to fill out our short walking survey here.
For more information and updates, join our online 5×5 Community Group Page