Hidden Harvest serves up a sustainable future by empowering people with the tools & forks to tackle food waste in their kitchens at home.
Did you know if food waste were a country, it would be the third largest emitter of greenhouse gases? Australia uses around five Sydney Harbours’ worth of water to grow food that is wasted – with the majority of Australia’s food waste comes from households and costs us $2,000 – $2,500 per year on wasted groceries.
The good news? Hidden Harvest transforms the problem of food waste into a delicious opportunity to cook up positive change from our kitchens at home! We build community around a shared passion for food and social & environmental change, inspire conversation with easy solutions to fight food waste, and empower you to feel confident in the kitchen.
Through fun and thought-provoking events, workshops and partnerships – ranging from curated art exhibitions in galleries to human-sized bread fortresses at local festivals – we provide our community with the opportunity to see, feel and taste how delicious a sustainable food future can be.
Want to stay up-to-date with Hidden Harvest’s community news? Follow us on Facebook and Instagram. If you are interested in collaborating, booking a workshop, or want to know more about volunteer opportunities and donation options, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you.
- A beginner’s guide to cooking with food scraps – SBS
- How poetry is being used to reduce food waste in Wollongong – Illawarra Mercury
- Caveau Restaurant to host Hidden Harvest dinner to combat the environmental and social impacts of food waste – Illawarra Mercury
- How community dinners with menus created from food waste are attracting great interest – Illawarra Mercury
- Fine-dining chefs cook discarded fruit and veg to minimise food waste and its climate change impact – ABC News
- Wollongong’s most hatted restaurant helps Hidden Harvest with community dinner – Illawarra Mercury
- This restaurant proves that food waste can be recycled into a 3-course meal – SBS
- Wollongong’s Hidden Harvest to host free pickling in Crown Street – Illawarra Mercury
- Healthy Cities Illawarra and Hidden Harvest are teaching people how to be food smart – Illawarra Mercury
- Renew Wollongong begins activating the Crown Street Mall with Hidden Harvest and Society City – Illawarra Mercury
- Hidden Harvest – Coal Coast Magazine
- Connecting over food in Shellharbour for Fair Food Week – Illawarra Mercury
- Illawarra Cookbook features Caveau to Coledale, Hidden Harvest to Harbourfront and more – Illawarra Mercury
- Wollongong’s Moving Mountains gallery hosts ‘Art of Food Waste’ exhibition – Illawarra Mercury
- Peppermint Pitch – Hidden Harvest – Peppermint Magazine
- Light shone on Illawarra’s Hidden Harvest – Illawarra Mercury
“Maree and Jackie were amazing and meshed with us instantly. They brought a really great vibe with them which generated a sense of fun and excitement. We absolutely loved the workshop and will most definitely do it again. Thanks.”
Easy Agile – Corporate Workshop